Stamp Series: Russia


Did you own one of these Babushka dolls when you were younger? I remember having a rather traditional-looking set and my sister having ones painted to look like frogs.

Better known as matryoshka dolls in Russia or nesting dolls, these are a set of wooden dolls of decreasing size placed inside one another. The first doll was made in 1890 and presented in 1900 at the Exposition Universelle in Paris where the toy earned a bronze medal.

This is the first thing that comes in to my mind when thinking about Russia and although there are many remarkable landmarks that many would hold in higher regard, having my very own matryoshka doll as a child was my first taster of the country.

Have you visited Russia? If so, where did you stay and would you ever go back?

No comments

Post a Comment