Happy Mother's Day

I am fortunate to have the relationship I do with my mum. She's always been there for me, always put my needs first before her own and has really spoiled me (more so than I deserve and then some). Even though I know I annoy her when I try to talk to her when she's watching her favourite TV shows, I also know that when I really need advice, she'll always have some to give.

There aren't enough words in the English language to describe how much my mum means to me and how much I appreciate all that she has done for me over the last four years in particular. Since I moved away to university I felt that our relationship grew stronger, or perhaps I just grew older and realised that I need all the support of the people in my life as much as I want to give support to them.

In 2011 my life took a pretty big turn when I got diagnosed with a chronic illness and at the time I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to live with it. I was in a really bad place, my weight had dropped dramatically, I was struggling to eat, my hair was falling out, I was tired all of the time and I spent the majority of my days in a lot of pain. Since that day my mum (among my other close family members) has been by my side and has helped me in more ways than I ever thought would be possible.

A couple of weeks ago, I spotted a tweet @stylistmagazine's feed asking for people to write a love letter to their mum for Mother's Day. Being quite an emotional person, I find it hard to express my gratitude without tearing up so I sent an email over to the features team. After supplying them with the editorial content for my love letter to my mum, I am really pleased to have had it published and my mum may have shed a tear or ten herself when I showed it to her.

You can read the letter over on stylist.co.uk (it's the eighth letter so you may have to do some scrolling), but take the time to read the others too if you can. It's lovely to see how much people appreciate the woman in their lives who has inspired and helped them blossom into the individual they are.

There are many people out there who unfortunately don't get to celebrate today, but if you wrote a love letter to your mum today, what would it say?

No comments

Post a Comment