Make it Happen

Before now, I haven't really taken much notice in International Women's Day. Not because I don't believe in equality or having self-empowerment, but because I really just didn't get it. Sometimes you can be so naive to the world and for many years I was. I have spent most of my life going by my day-to-day just getting on with things as best as possible, not really ever seeing myself as lesser or better than anyone, male or female (which I suppose is a good thing). For me, all I've ever wanted is to be the best version of myself.

It wasn't until I watched Emma Watson's UN speech (He For She) on gender equality that somewhere in me a chord struck – how in this day and age are men and women still not being treated as equals?!

During my year at college I was told by one of the male tutors that I would 'never set the world on fire'. At the time I was very timid, a little frightened and I honestly didn't have much of an idea of what direction I wanted my life to go in. But those words have always stuck in the back of my mind. The words made me feel inferior. I know deep down I might never set the world on fire, but if I can at least be able to make a difference to someone's life in a positive way, whether it be through sharing my experiences with my chronic illness or inspiring someone through my work, that alone is more than I could hope for.

What I really like though about this year's celebration of International Women's Day is the theme: Make it Happen. To me this year's theme is similar to what my New Year's Resolution was. To do more. To do better. For me it is about showing what I am capable of and proving to myself that I can always do better, not just as an individual but in my personal and working life.

I'm trying my best this year to Make it Happen. I want to work hard, not be so scared to share my work with others and to hopefully grow more. I've come a long way since the shy girl who couldn't even order her own meal in a restaurant (yes, I was that bad). Things take time, but the one thing I have learned over the years is to just be yourself and do the things that make you happy. So go on, make it happen.


No comments

Post a Comment